Monday, June 08, 2009

Oliver
1993-2009



Oliver came into my life in 1995. I had just lost a cat and was considering getting another to be a companion for Dollie. A co-worker was looking for a home for her daughter's cat, Oliver. Her daughter had just had a baby and Oliver wanted to snuggle with the newborn. Everyone was concerned that he would smother or otherwise harm the baby. I discussed it with my husband and a few days later Oliver came to his forever home.

Oliver had been almost a feral cat for the first part of his life; if not feral, then certainly homeless. He was living at the Tropicana plant when my friend's son-in-law brought him home. We don't know just how old Oliver was when he came to us; we were told about two years old. Dollie was two, so I just assigned the same age to Oliver.

Oliver had been neutered and had his front claws removed. Dollie still had hers and, to my personal knowledge, was well versed in the use of said claws. I didn't think it was fair for Oliver to be nearly defenseless, so Dollie went to the vet and was declawed and spayed. It had to be done, so I figured it best to do it all at once. More on that story another time.

Oliver moved in while Dollie was gone, so of course he thought he was an "only" cat. When Dollie came home from the vet, they had to be separated for a few days; when one was out, the other was locked in a bedroom. I know they had to be aware of each other, but neither sought out the other.

Until that fateful day when the vet gave the okay for them to meet. It was not a pleasant meeting, and took some time for Dollie to understand that there was another cat in our lives, and for Oliver to understand he was the "junior" cat. But they finally came to an agreement where they were able to live fairly harmoniously for 15 years.

Oliver bonded with my husband, Dale. He slept with Dale while I was at work, and was in his lap or next to him most of the rest of his day. He loved Dale's feeding schedule: when Dale ate, everyone ate! When Dale passed away, Oliver would come to me, jump up on my side (I usually sleep on my left side) and put both arms (legs? whatever) around me like he was trying to hug and comfort me. He did that every night for some time. As time passed, he did it less and less often, but every once in a while, he'd come back and hug me.

He would come to bed with me most nights and just lay on me. He'd nuzzle and purr into my ear, rub his cheek against mine and usually try to steal my earring or necklace. That's when I'd toss him to the end of the bed. He took it in stride and laid down and made himself comfortable.

Since Dale died, Oliver had lost a lot of weight, but seemed healthy. One reason for his weight loss was that he was eating twice a day, not twice an hour (not really that often, it just seemed that often). His fur was shiny, he could jump up into my lap or onto the bed and he seemed to move as well as ever, if not just a little slower. I'm not sure he wasn't blind in one eye, but knew what was going on around him. He wasn't mentally slow in any way, and was as pleasant as ever. I knew he probably didn't have many more years; he was at least 17 after all. You just never expect it to actually happen.

The other morning, after I finished getting dressed, I looked around to be sure all the animals were out of the bedroom. I usually count noses after I close the door and counted only three. I check back in the bedroom and when I didn't see him, asked the dogs where Oliver was. They knew and showed me. I realized that Oliver was gone almost right away. He was laying between a chest and coffee table in the living room. I'm not sure whether he laid down to sleep or just left us at that particular place. In any case, he had crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

I buried him in the soft sand under my bedroom window. and put a large terracotta planter on the spot. On my days off I'll plant something in that pot. Something leafy, I think. He loved to eat the plants I brought into the house. I had to be careful to not bring in anything poisonous; he ate anything and everything plant based, from spider plants and philodendrons to a corn broom.

Goodbye Oliver. You gave me comfort when I needed it. You always knew when I needed the unconditional love only an animal can give. I hope I gave something back to you to show how much you were loved.

Go in peace, my furry little friend. You are missed and will never be forgotten.

No comments: